I have seen a lot of these ”things I have learned in (number of years)” posts over the years and I guess at 25, it’s my turn to write one. Why was 25 the year? I don’t know really, but what I do know is, life has taught me a thing or two over the last while and it’s all combined in making me the person I am today, so I am happy enough to share a few of the lessons I have learned, so far.
Here are 25 Things I have learned in 25 Years…
- Anxiety won’t always rule your life
- It’s okay to fly solo for a while, if you have to take a step back from a certain a friendship/relationship, to figure things out, do it.
- Never stop reading, books are a gateway to worlds that you might have never known. (Yes, Audiobooks count)
- Don’t be a victim to trends, wear the clothes/outfits you want to wear
- Focus on the positive influences in your life, not the negative, there are so many people around you that love and respect you for who you truly are
- Bad things happen to good people, unfortunately it’s out of our control
- Similarly, just because you are a good person, it won’t stop people saying negative things about you or to you, but you know your truth and that’s all that matters
- You will lose friends, it’s a natural part of life as people grow and move on
- … but you will make new ones and reconnect with old ones when circumstances allow (life can be full circle sometimes)
- Volunteer for an organisation/cause you are passionate about – you will not believe the value it adds to your life
- Going to college ‘later’ than you had anticipated will benefit you, you see a more clearer path because of it
- It’s good to look back to see how far you have come, but don’t dwell on the past
- You may feel a little lost at some stage, that can be life in your in 20s but please, keep going
- You will never regret pushing yourself out of your comfort zone or trying something new
- If you dropped hobbies – for whatever reason – pick up on them again, it’s never too late
- Don’t be afraid to march to your own beat, this your life, not anyone else’s
- Being a good friend is important, but don’t feel guilty about setting boundaries, you need to look out for yourself too.
- Your health actually is your wealth, and your body will show you that
- Save anything, €1, €5 or €25, you’ll be surprised to see how it all adds up.
- There’s no point in having regrets, every decision you made or experience you went through has led to you to this point in your life so far
- It’s more important to learn from your mistakes, rather than run away from them
- How you’re feeling right now, won’t last forever
- Things work out in the end, and if they haven’t, then it’s not the end (of the situation you’re in)
- You will realise being your authentic self, is the only way to live
- Soak in the time spent with family and friends, those memories will last a lifetime
So there it is! Here’s to being 25 and entering the second half of my 20s 🍰🥂
Leave a Reply